Discussion Questions, June 4th, 2017
June 4, 2017
What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Ephesians 5:15-33
Marriage is a picture of the gospel. In marriage we put on display the love of Christ for the church. Being designed differently, God gives unique instructions to husbands and wives. Husbands are called to love their wives in the way that Jesus loved the church. Wives are called to respect their husbands and submit to their loving and worthy leadership. While submission is viewed negatively by western culture, Paul teaches that it is evidence of the Spirit-filled life.
- What comes to mind when you think of being “spirit-filled”? How do the 4 descriptions in vv.19-21 evidence the Spirit at work in a believer?
- What is submission? When is submission godly and good and when is it not?
- What does our culture think of submission? In what ways has our culture’s view influenced the church in its view of submission?
- How can a wife submit to her husband? When should she not submit?
- How do the commands given to wives and to husbands work together?
- What might submission look like in practical terms? Where have you seen it done well?