What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Revelation 2:12-17
Pergamum was a strongly pagan city with many temples devoted to the Imperial Cult and Greco-Roman gods. This church had been faithful through a period of persecution, but now some were compromising by syncretizing their faith in Jesus with cultural practices. Compromise comes slowly and often feels right. It avoids conflict and joins the crowd. Jesus calls on compromisers to repent and to be loyal to Him and receive his amazing promises.
1. In what ways is Pergamum like our situation? In what ways do you think it is different?
2. This church faced both external pressure and internal compromise. Which is a greater threat?
3. Why is compromise so tempting? What are some different kinds of compromise? What are some examples today?
4. How is it that people compromise without even recognizing it? What can you do to ensure that you don’t unwittingly compromise as well?
5. What does Jesus call us to do if we are compromising?
6. What promises are given to repentant compromisers?