What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Revelation 2:18-29
The church in Thyatira was a loving and welcoming community that was showing real growth in their service and love. But they were so welcoming and accepting that they tolerated almost anything. A personality cult had developed around a self-appointed leader who was teaching people to syncretize Christian faith with pagan culture. And the church has done nothing! Genuine love for Jesus and his people cannot tolerate the devouring of his people.
1. How does this church compare with Ephesus? What can we learn by reading these two letters together?
2. What is syncretism? How were the churches in Revelation tempted by syncretism? Where could we be drawn to syncretize today? Why is syncretism attractive?
3. Jesus is loving and patient, but he will not forever tolerate evil, especially those who harm his people. Is there a danger of us being more tolerant than Jesus?
4. When does real love and tolerance conflict with each other? What are some things we should not tolerate in our church community?
5. What can we as a group do to help create a culture of love and welcome at TAC, while still pursuing and valuing truth?