What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Matthew 1:1-17
Who is Jesus? This is the question Matthew is answering in his gospel and he begins that answer in the opening genealogy. Jesus is the Son of David and Son of Abraham. He is the rightful and promised Davidic king (2 Sam 7:4-17, Psalm 2, etc), and the one who will bring the blessing of Abraham to the nations (Gen 12:1-3; Gal 3:13-14). If we are to celebrate Christmas rightly it will be by worshipping Jesus as King and Saviour.
1. What does it mean that Jesus is the ‘Son of David’? What is the OT background? This title is often on the lips of people of faith in Matthew (9:27;15:22; 20:29-34). What do they mean by it and why would it anger the religious leaders (21:6-17)?
2. What does it mean that Jesus is the ‘Son of Abraham’? How does this title relate to the ending of Matthew (Mt 28:16-20)?
3. What should we learn from the surprising inclusion of the four women in Jesus’ genealogy (Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, Bathsheba)?
4. Are there outsiders God may be calling you to include this Christmas?
5. Christmas can be a frenzied season, but it ought to be a time to focus on celebrating Jesus. What are some of the things that could potentially crowd Jesus out of your life this Christmas? How can you be intentional about making Christmas about worship?