What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Hebrews 1:1-4
The Letter to the Hebrews was written to a congregation of Jewish Christians in Rome who because of persecution and hardship were beginning to let go of their Christian faith. With both encouragements and warnings the author urges his readers to persevere in faith and keep their eyes on Jesus who is in every way supreme to what was given before. These first verses introduce these themes and cause us to look more closely at Jesus the divine Son.
1. In these verses, how is Jesus presented as better than what came before?
2. Why does the author begin by focusing on who Jesus is? Why is that relevant to these struggling Christians?
3. Walk through the 7 statements about the Son from vv.2b-3. Paraphrase each one and explain how they can be encouraging to us today.
4. What are some threats today that can cause a professing Christian to drift away from Christ? How does Hebrews counter these threats?
5. Do you have any spiritual goals or hopes for 2019 that you want to share? How can we be praying for you?