What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Hebrews 4:14-5:10
The Author now introduces us to the topic of priesthood, which will play a key role through chapter 10. We cannot return to the Old Testament priesthood for access to God; we have a High Priest who provides better access to God and eternal salvation. Therefore, we must hold fast our faith and draw near to God through Christ in our time of need. Jesus our priest provides unbelievable access to God, which is not available by any other means.
1. What are the 3 characteristics of Jesus the Author reminds us of in 4:14? What do they mean and how can they help us hold fast to our faith?
2. What practical difference does it make that we have a sympathetic High Priest in Jesus?
3. What has Jesus done to make it possible for us to approach the throne of grace with confidence? Does the frequency and posture of your prayer and worship align with this reality? How does your thinking about God and our access to him need to change?
4. What is the role of a priest? How is Jesus a better priest? What difference does the priesthood of Jesus make in the life of a Christian?
5. How does the suffering of Jesus qualify him to be an eternal priest and give an eternal salvation?