What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Hebrews 5:11-6:20
The author pauses his exposition on the eternal priesthood of Jesus to exhort and warn his readers. They have grown sluggish and are still immature in faith. This is a dangerous position to be in. Using both warning and encouragement, the author urges them to go on to maturity and persevere in faith.
1. In what way have the readers become “sluggish” (or dull of hearing – v.11)? How does someone become spiritually lazy?
2. Do you have spiritual goals and are you trying to reach them? How do you want to grow in knowledge, faith, and godliness? What habits will help you reach those goals?
3. What is the purpose of the author’s warning in 6:4-8? What is the right response?
4. How does the encouragement of 6:9-12 fit with the warning that preceded it? Does the author think the readers will fall away?
5. The author both warns and encourages. Are there people in your life that will warn or encourage you? Do we need warning and encouragement? How can we grow in this?
6. What is the “sure and steadfast anchor of the soul” (6:19)? How does it help us to persevere in faith?