What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Hebrews 7:1-28
The author returns to his exposition of Jesus’ priesthood, picking up where he left off in 5:10. He shows (from Gen 14:17-20 and Psalm 110:4) how there is a kind of priesthood that is totally separate from the line of Levi. Jesus is our better priest who belongs to a better kind of priesthood. As High Priest Jesus is perfectly suited to meet our biggest needs of guilt and weakness.
1. In what ways does Melchizedek correspond to Christ?
2. What purpose does this chapter serve as the author seeks to exhort his readers to not leave Christ to return to Judaism?
3. What was the role of the priest in ancient Israel and how does Christ fulfill this role?
4. Why is Jesus’ indestructible life so important for his priesthood?
5. What does Jesus priesthood mean for our guilt and sin? What should we do differently if we are remembering the eternal priesthood of Jesus?
6. What does it mean that Christ intercedes on our behalf (v.25)? What comfort does this give? Do we make use of this enough?