What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read Hebrews 12:18-29
In this final climactic exhortation, the author paints a vivid picture of two mountains and invites the reader to access by which mountain they are relating to God. Are we approaching God through Mt. Sinai and the law? Or are we coming to God at Mt. Zion by grace? He warns them of refusing this word and invites them to respond rightly to the gospel of grace.
1. Why does the author compare Mt. Sinai with the Heavenly Mt. Zion? Why would the readers be drawn to Mt. Sinai?
2. In what ways are you drawn towards building your identity on something other than grace (ie. performance, works, image)?
3. Read through the descriptions of Mt Zion in vv.22-24. Which ones stand out most to you? Which ones did you most need to remember?
4. In what way does Jesus’ blood speak a better word than Abel’s?
5. Put into your own words the right response that is outlined in vv.28-29. What priorities or practices could help you grow in these things?
6. What is the role of celebration in the Christian life? What do we celebrate? How do we celebrate? Is celebration a prominent enough feature in your life and in our church?