What stood out to you from Sunday’s message?
Read 1 Kings 18:20-46
It is finally the day the drought will end. But before the rains come, the people must repent and be forgiven. Elijah sets up this contest on Mt. Carmel to prove decisively that Yahweh alone is God and there is no other. Through this contest, God will win back the hearts of his people and release their grip on their pathetic idols. He will forgive and restore; then the rains will fall.
1. Jesus said, “No one can serve two masters”, what are some rival masters that we are tempted to serve instead of God? What replaces Baal in our culture?
2. How does this story speak to the thinking that all religions lead to the same God? What value is the sincerity and devotion of the prophets of Baal?
3. What is the purpose of Elijah’s actions in vv.30-35? What do you think this conveys?
4. According to the prayer of Elijah, what is the purpose of this event? What is God’s goal? Is it successful?
5. Why is it necessary that they kill the prophets of Baal? What does it show? How do we apply this in the new covenant?
6. What is your biggest personal application from this text? What is God calling you to do or believe?