Community Group Discussion Questions
For the week of February 2, 2020
Read James 3:1-12
Say a prayer that God would open your heart to hear His voice from the Epistle of James
1. Read verse 1-2. Why is it important for those who teach to control their tongues? Why are they judged more seriously?
2. What are the metaphors used for the power of the tongue in verses 3-6?
3. What are the characteristics used to describe the tongue in verses 7-8?
4. What is the contradiction between the blessing and cursing in verses 9-10. (Hint: Image of God.)
5. What do verses 11-12 tell us about the root causes of negative speech?
6. What are the implications for us in verses 11-12 about how we might be able to clean up our speech? What is the root problem? How do we deal with it?
7. What does this passage mean for you? Where has the Spirit convicted you as you have read and taken in these words?