In Pastor Cory's first message in the new series, we discover that Jesus' top priority during his earthly life was to live life fully devoted to the Father in all things. As those who are called to 'walk as Jesus walked' (1 John 2:6), we too should aspire to live our lives in full devotion to the Father.
COMMUNITY GROUP QUESTIONS
1. Take some time to discuss Sunday’s message. What stood out to you? What impacted you? What decision(s) did you make in response? Did you learn something new? Were you reminded of something you had forgotten? Was there something you did not understand?
2. The title for this series comes from 1 John 2:6. What does this text mean when it says we are to ‘walk in the same way in which he walked’? Where do we turn to find the definitive answer to the question, ‘how did Jesus walk’?
3. Often when we hear that we are called to ‘walk as Jesus walked’ it is easy to think of the importance of imitating his character. While developing Christlike character is vital in our spiritual formation, the focus of this series is on imitating the priorities of Jesus. Why is it important to think carefully about Jesus’ priorities? How might a focus on his priorities affect your own life and the church?
4. According to Sunday’s message, what was Jesus’ top priority? Prior to Sunday how would you have answered that question?
5. Jesus’ full devotion to the Father was expressed in his desire to glorify the Father. What do the following passages tell us about Jesus (John 5:41; 7:18; 8:50; 17:1,4) and how does his desire contrast with the desire of others in his day (John 5:41-44; 12:42-43; Matthew 6:1, 5, 16; 23:5)? What does someone’s life look like today who seeks their own glory?
6. What do the following passages tell us about the reason or purpose of our lives (Is. 43:7; Col. 1:16; Rom. 11:36; 1 Cor. 10:31)?
7. Jesus’ full devotion to the Father was expressed in his surrender to the Father’s will. What do the following passages tell us about Jesus (John 4:34; 5:30; 6:38-40; Matthew 26:36-46)? What does someone’s life look like today who is surrendered to the Fathers will (Matthew 6:10; James 4:13-17; Romans 12:1-2)?
8. Identify one practical way that you will seek to glorify God this week?